The Exploratorium is one of the most fun and interactive museums you’ll ever go to. It allows you to explore the world through science, art, and human perception. Its mission is to create inquiry-based experiences that transform learning. The New York Times describes it as the most important science museum to have opened since the mid-20th century attributing to “the nature of its exhibits, its wide-ranging influence and its sophisticated teacher training program” (Source: Rothstein, Edward. “An Emphasis on Newton’s Laws (and a Little Lawlessness)”. The New York Times. Retrieved 12 June 2013).
This is a great place for both adults and kids. It is located at Pier 15 on the Embarcadero by the waterfront and the Ferry Building. It is a convenient walk from the financial district and downtown. You can also take the Bart to the Embarcadero station. You can also park for $10-15.
Tickets are $19.95 at the door and $17.95 purchased online. We’ve also listed selected Community Days when the Museum is pay-as-you-wish.
Regular Museum Hours are 10am to 5pm. Thursday night AfterDark events are 6pm to 10 pm. Museum is closed on Mondays.
Upcoming Fun Science Events:
- Sneaky: April 5th, 6pm-10pm
- Fish Sauce: April 12th, 6pm-10pm
- NASA’s LIVE with the InSight Lander Roadshow and Videons mission to Mars: April 19th, 6pm-10pm
- Explorable Handmade Science: Saturday, April 21, 1:00pm–4:00pm
- Full-Spectrum Science with Ron Hipschman – Mirrors: Sunday, April 22, 1:00pm-3:00pm
- SOFIA—Reflections on the Universe from 40,000 Feet and Mirrors: Thursday, April 26, 6-10pm
- Boundaries: Thursday, May 3rd, 6-10pm
- Five Seconds Rule: Thursday, May 10th, 6-10pm
- Copper and Maker Faire: Thursday, May 17th, 6-10pm
- Sound: May 24, 6-10pm
- Full-Spectrum Science with Ron Hipschman: Sound: Sunday, May 27, 1:00-3:00pm
- Tactile Dome: Friday and Saturday nights from 6:15pm-7:30pm from April to end of June. Reservation required. It is an interactive excursion through total darkness. Work your way through the pitch-dark Dome using your sense of touch as your only guide navigating through its chambers and mazes.
Upcoming Free Events:
Conversations About Landscape: Nature in the City – free, requires RSVP
Wednesday, April 18, 2018, 6:00pm–9:00pm
- Community Day
- Sunday, May 13, 2018, 10:00am.–5:00pm
- Friday, July 13, 2018, 5:00pm–9:00pm
- Saturday, September 22, 2018, 10:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m
- Sunday, October 21, 2018, 10:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m